Thursday, November 11, 2010

Train journey down the western ghats

I am no writer by any standards , but this journey has kindled me to write and walk through memory lane . ...
New years's eve and there I was hopping into a train - hmmm what was I thinking ... people don't do this ... not me for sure . Party with friends, make resolutions (with so much conviction) , that we almost never keep is the norm.
This was different in many ways.
The train was packed , so I was really not alone.  Settled down dreaming about the place that so many people have raved about and recommended.

Rumbling slowly the train left Coimbatore Junction . It was late into the night,  tried to peer outside the window , spotting the distant lights of the city and beyond. The dark skies sprinkled with stars and the moon peeking from behind a fluffy cloud , contemplating .. my ears were picking up the sounds of the vendors earnestly selling their merchandise , those that lured the kids into buying the chocolates, chips and soda and those that sold tea, kaapi and somsaas.  As it neared midnight the older folks retired while the young and agile kept awake to scream "Happy New year"!, since without that the new born  would not arrive.
I retired amongst that mild chaos which is the usual scene on an Indian train. The early morning  sun, still awaited his wake up call , while I woke up to the call of the chai wala.  Checked the time, quickly freshened up , picked my bags and hopped off on to the platform of Mangalore Junction at the wee hours of the morn. Although one would hope to savor the fresh air , I was prepared for the fragrance that the train station had to offer. Waited on the not so busy platform for the local train to crawl in , anticipating  this mesmerizing route that  she was about to reveal . For this, I was unprepared to receive and experience.
The curtains rose and lo and behold...  awestruck by the spectacular mountains and the tunnels that she passed through , not realizing this was just the beginning . I sat down with my legs dangling at the door step letting the breeze brush me gently . She took me through forests and fields , never knew that it added so much character to the topography of mother earth.
The long winding rivers, with  the fishermen topped with their little bamboo hats  drifting across on narrow catamarans. The coconut trees that were woven alongside the water , who would have thought that just a few green leaves and a water body with a clear blue roof over their head  could transport one to heaven.  
Slowly passing through the villages , watching the little hands waving out with earnestness and the  smiles that are etched in your memory.
Made little friends who shared their candy and listening to the tunes rendered by these innocent souls.... i couldn't ask for more. ...

Finally this  journey through serenity came to an end for the day - wanting to rest she stopped her tracks in  Madgaon  - Goa!!!!


I could share my experience of Goa....  but how about sharing your thoughts.......

No comments:

Post a Comment